What is the reason for gb_Helper_abbreviate_dirs?

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Sat Feb 7 02:37:10 PST 2015

On Wed, Feb 04, 2015 at 03:22:04PM +0100, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> For another, it makes it more tedious to copy/modify/paste "make"
> (w/o -s) output for some little one-off things like asking the
> compiler to produce -S instead of -c output for some .cxx.

How so exactly? I remember from when I started playing with the build system
doing that more that likely anybody else did, and both having shorter
commandlines and not having to type a full path to e.g. $W all the time was
more of a feature than a bug for me.

Anyways, YMMV -- so no opposing this, as having less magic is generally good.
Lets see if without abbreviated dirs, the verbose build logs of release package
builds will break my or somebody elses build infra by being ten times(?) as
big. ;)

Best,

Bjoern