Error building Visual Studio 2013 project file for LibreOffice on Windows

Jesper Hertel jesper.hertel at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 07:59:53 PST 2015

Den 17/02/2015 07.34 skrev "Tor Lillqvist" <tml at iki.fi>:

> > Not many of us use it,
>
> True.

I know. :-)

And maybe I will have to see it as a do-it-yourself project then, as Noel
suggested. I already started debugging the makefile and Python script
involved. I will probably learn something new in the process. :-)

> > However, that doesn't mean you can't use Visual Studio for debugging,
it is very simple to
> > just run VS and start a program and debug from it, and it will load the
correct source files, etc.

> In more detail, what works fine is: Start the LibreOffice you just
> built (presumably with debugging information --enable-debug) by
> running instdir/program/soffice.exe. Start Visual Studio, but don't
> open or create any project or solution. (It makes no difference
> whether you start LibreOffice or Visual Studio first.)
>
> Then attach the soffice.bin (not soffice.exe) process in Visual
> Studio. soffice.bin is the actual LibreOffice process. Then open the
> source file(s) you want to debug in Visual Studio and set one or
> several breakpoints. Then do whatever is needed in LibreOffice to
> cause the breakpoint to be reached. Then debug.

Well, I will at least try that. Thanks for the instructions. :-)

> I am not sure if the Visual Studio "integration" even if it worked as
> advertised would match your expectations. But I might be too
> pessimistic.

I saw a video of what was possible [1] and it looked fine to
me. :-) Autocomplete, IntelliSense, immediate indication of errors in the
source code while you write it, instant navigation to definitions of
methods etc., and stuff like that. That was what made me want to try.

[1]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn3CtIrMpIA

> Maybe somebody who actually has used (or even worked on)
> the integration can respond.

Yes, I hoped to reach somebody who did, even though I know they are not
many. But I'll just try to do it myself then.

Thanks a lot for your answers, Noel and Tor!

Jesper