FW: Calc function names saved to file and backward compatibility

Winfried Donkers W.Donkers at dci-electronics.nl
Wed Feb 18 04:08:30 PST 2015

Resending to the dev-list...

Winfried

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Winfried Donkers
Verzonden: woensdag 18 februari 2015 12:14
Aan: 'Eike Rathke'
Onderwerp: RE: Calc function names saved to file and backward compatibility

hi Eike,

> What we usually do is add a compatibility name to older release
> branches so the next release there can read both, the new name and the
> old name, but continues to write the old name so earlier releases of
> the same (usually two) branches are not affected.
>
> Then for the next release branch (now master) switch from writing the
> old name to writing the new name, but still accept the old name "forever".

Ok, I suggest the following:

Calc UI  ODF-old names to be kept  ODF-new names  Excel
F.DIST   COM.MICROSOFT.F.DIST      FDIST          _xlfn.F.DIST
FDIST    COM.MICROSOFT.F.DIST.RT   LEGACY.FDIST   _xlfn.F.DIST.RT and FDIST (import only)

(current situation is
Calc UI         ODF                         Excel
FDIST           LEGACY.FDIST                FDIST
F.DIST          COM.MICROSOFT.F.DIST        _xlfn.F.DIST
F.DIST.RT       COM.MICROSOFT.F.DIST.RT     _xlfn.F.DIST.RT
-               FDIST (not used)                      )

The ODF FDIST is identical with Excel2010's F.DIST, except for the optional 4th argument, which is handled in the code already.
The ODF LEGACY.FDIST is identical with Excel's FDIST and Excel2010's F.DIST.LT.
Excel's FDIST is now obsolete, but still supported by Excel (how long?).

I think the change could be done in one go for UI FDIST and F.DIST.RT, as new files can be read by older versions.
Only for UI F.DIST a 2 step change will be needed.

Can you agree with my plans?

Winfried