LO server leaves pipe behind?

Wols Lists antlists at youngman.org.uk
Fri Feb 20 11:56:14 PST 2015

On 20/02/15 17:27, Jens Tröger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Over the course of a few days I've spawned and terminated many soffice
> instances using
>
>   > soffice --accept="pipe,name=rnd_pipe_name;urp;StarOffice.ServiceManager" --invisible
>
> where "rnd_pipe_name" is a unique and randomly created string.  I just
> noticed that there are heaps of pipes left behind in my /tmp folder,
> including the "SingleOfficeIPC" pipe:
>
>   srwxr-xr-x 1 savage wheel      0 Feb 20 08:52 OSL_PIPE_501_SingleOfficeIPC_27251de6a1ae2a94095e16e3d552ebc
>   srwxr-xr-x 1 savage wheel      0 Feb 14 11:37 OSL_PIPE_501_loffice-50f117d62f2a4-lTtuWW
>   srwxr-xr-x 1 savage wheel      0 Feb 14 11:39 OSL_PIPE_501_loffice-50f11827b34d6-mMewJu
>   srwxr-xr-x 1 savage wheel      0 Feb 14 11:52 OSL_PIPE_501_loffice-50f11b187b65a-9FfATf
>
> Is it safe for me to clean them up, will the OS do that at some point?

Have you (or the distro) configured your system to clean out /tmp? And
yes, it is safe to clean them up (or if it's not, LO is abusing the /tmp
directory).

As per the appropriate definition any program using /tmp should not
depend on finding anything in it, as it is (as its name implies)
temporary, and may be cleaned out at any time. On my system, it's
actually a tmpfs, so it is cleaned out on every shutdown.

Note that /var/tmp should NOT be treated quite so cavalierly, I think
the relevant spec says that stuff there should survive an unexpected
reboot - it is where things like document recovery files should go so
things like LO, vi(m), emacs etc can store recovery logs and stuff in
there. But it's still for transient stuff so you can't rely on stuff
staying in there long.

Cheers,
Wol