Bad Jenkins Slave?

Wols Lists antlists at youngman.org.uk
Sun Feb 22 06:02:07 PST 2015

On 22/02/15 05:50, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
> PS: Windows 2012 somehow ended-up with a 'ghost' directory that no-one
> could delete not even Admin ( Windows these days is so secure than
> even Administrator does not have the permission to delete files....
> yeah that is the symptom: 'Permission denied' whatever you try to do
> with that Directory...)
> Solution: Standard Microsoft Support Technique: Reboot. Hard to
> imagine that some people are running this crap on 'production' system
> :-/

Mmmm ... so Unix that lets you delete files under a running process,
causing a crash, is any better?

It's all trade-offs. That said, a system I was using in the early 80s
(another Multics derivative) got round that sort of problem with a
"rename and replace" system call. Okay, it cluttered up your file system
with old files that needed to be cleaned up, but at least you could get
on with your work.

And I agree with your frustration, "reboot" is *not* an acceptable
solution to a problem on a multi-tasking machine ... and they wonder why
Windows is not five-nines reliable ... :-)

Cheers,
Wol