Severe performance degradation on Linux

Jens Tröger jens.troeger at light-speed.de
Sat Jan 3 07:36:44 PST 2015

Hi,

On Sat, Jan 03, 2015 at 12:51:02PM +0100, Maarten Hoes wrote:
>    <markus.mohrhard at googlemail.com> wrote:
>    >
>    > Nearly all distros provide debuginfos that will make the callgrind
>    > output somewhat nicer. In a self build tree you need to use
>    > --enable-symbols as option (no enable-debug or enable-dbgutil as they
>    > will remove the optimization that is necessary for useful profiling).
>
>    Thanks. I wasnt sure about Ubuntu. But it looks like Ubuntu has the
>    'debuginfo-install' command to install debug symbols for a given
>    package.
>    - Maarten

On Ubuntu I had to

  sudo apt-get install libreoffice-dbg

which pulled in the debug information.  It also installed a few more
packages that provide debug info for libraries.

I actually made the mistake to valgrind "soffice" which is a bash
script, instead of "/usr/lib/libreoffice/program/soffice.bin" which is
the actual executable.  Running soffice.bin under callgrind took _way_
longer which makes sense, considering the added overhead of the
instrumentation.  The results of that run are attached.

Furthermore, instead of profiling the LO binary I also profiles the
Python run itself.  What troubles me with the current scenario is that
running LO inside of an IPy Notebook seems to have run for the expected
2 sec, see this answer to my thread:

  https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=74332&p=336914#p336350

Does the call profile for LO raise a flag to any of you devs?

Cheers,
Jens

--
Jens Tröger