removing crashrep

Markus Mohrhard markus.mohrhard at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 7 03:48:24 PST 2015

Hey,

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 12:36 PM, Michael Stahl <mstahl at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 06.01.2015 22:02, Caolán McNamara wrote:
> > I propose removing
> > "crashrep" (https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/13733/) on the basis that
> > we've never used it. Any objections ?
>

> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.steering-discuss/3535
>
> > Reenable crash reporter for Windows/Mac + analytics on data: 20.000 EUR
>
> apparently there is a TDF budget for a crash reporting service, does
> anybody know what the status of that is and if the "crashrep" code would
> be useful for that or if the client-side would require entirely new code?

At least in my opinion abandoning that code is the right approach. There is
a well maintained google library called breakpad that is used in chromium
and firefox that we should reuse. For the server side code we could take
some of the code from the mozilla project. In general that would avoid that
we alone would need to maintina that code and we would have easily
something that works on Linux and Windows and is well tested.

Regards,
Markus