Build breaks under Windows

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Fri Jan 9 09:07:48 PST 2015

hi Ashod,

On 09.01.2015 16:56, Ashod Nakashian wrote:
> I suspected this was a recent issue as it wouldn't make sense to have
> this broken for a long time. Still, I went ahead and spent yesterday
> adding the /FS flag.

thanks for investigating the problem, unfortunately i didn't look at the
gerrit patches today so did not see your patch.

> I noticed that in some cases the build would still break with this error
> (See Build 228[*] against my commit to fix this). Although I couldn't
> reproduce it on my local machine (also building with 12 threads like
> Jenkins,) when before the fix I couldn't complete a single successful
> parallel build.
>
> The only drawback of /FS is that it sends PDF file writes through the
> pdb server, which is slower than direct disk write. However, in my
> patch, the flag is only set for parallelized builds where it's
> beneficial. You can check out my patch here[$].

it is true that it may be slower in a non-parallel build, but nobody
does a non-parallel build and expects that to be fast, so it's not an
issue (and much simpler) to just unconditionally use -FS.

> Question 1: Do we still need to add the /FS flag for parallelized builds?

it is already added in solenv/gbuild/platform/com_MSC_defs.mk
and in solenv/gcc-wrappers/wrapper.cxx

the problem was that the removal of "crashrep" left an environment
variable wrongly defined, which caused the -Zi without -FS breaker.

> Question 2: Will an admin rebuild the failed Jenkins jobs, or what's the
> procedure in this case?

for your -FS patch it's not necessary since the patch is not needed (see
above); if you have other gerrit patches where the build broke the
re-build is not automatic, but if you look at your patch in gerrit there
is a "Rebase" button which will re-base it to the current master (with
the fix), and starting a new build after re-base it should work.

> P.S. I'm rather new to Libreoffice and just submitted two patches. Would
> like some constructive feedback to make my contributions both more
> efficient and valuable.

welcome and thanks for your contributions!