Translatable toolbar tooltips

David Tardon dtardon at redhat.com
Sun Jan 11 07:44:41 PST 2015

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 01:27:32PM +0200, Maxim Monastirsky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently I noticed a commit [1] that tries to set toolbar tooltips using the
> toolbar:tooltip attribute of the toolbar xml file. But I wonder whether those
> tooltips are translatable, because I couldn't find any handling of their
> translations. I looked in solenv/gbuild/UIConfig.mk, but it seems to me to just
> copy the files to the dist. So could someone please point me to the place where
> this is handled, or - maybe they're indeed not translatable, and that commit
> should be reverted?

Localization of menus and toolbars is handled indirectly through
registry: there is a node in
org.openoffice.Office.UI/UserInterface/Commands for every UNO command.
This node contains translatable properties (Label and ContextLabel). The
code in framework that builds the menus/toolbars uses registry to get
localized names.

There is no support for tooltips in the scheme currently. It could be
added, of course, but the question is whether it is really necessary...
If I understand the code in framework::ToolBarManager::FillToolbar
(framework/source/uielement/toolbarmanager.cxx) correctly, it would use
the label as tooltip if explicit tooltip is not there, which:
1. Is localized.
2. For the toolbar items referenced in your commit, it already contains
   exactly the same text
   (officecfg/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/UI/CalcCommands.xcu).

So IMHO the commit should be reverted.

D.