writing help texts

Andras Timar timar74 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 23:33:04 PST 2015

Hi Markus,

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 4:09 PM, Markus Mohrhard
<markus.mohrhard at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> just a short note that while writing help texts you should be extremely
> careful with newlines and spaces. They are not stripped and result in the
> final string which might be used also for extended tooltips.
>
> So something like:
>
> "This is a help text
> that goes across two lines.  "
>
> can cause quite some problems and looks horrible in the UI. Just write the
> whole text into one line and let our code figure out how and when to break.

I wonder whether https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/13919 helps? If it
does, you don't need to change the help text, which may trigger
translation update. (Extraction for translation replaces newlines to
spaces already, but does not trim the strings, in order to be
compatible with existing translations.)

Regards,
Andras