feature/barcode feedback sought ...

Thorsten Behrens thb at documentfoundation.org
Mon Jan 26 15:50:54 PST 2015

Michael Meeks wrote:
> 	My -hope- is that this with minimal tweaking would allow me to have
> arbitrary python plugins rendering interesting document content -

Yep

> and also serializing their rendered state as an OLE-style preview to
> the XML.

Maybe not that easily. And are you storing the original bits (that
then get rendered into QR) somewhere already?

> 	Of course - I'd love to have some feedback on my sanity - quite
> possibly this is utterly crazy; quite possibly there are 3x easier &
> better ways to achieve the same thing (?) =)

Yeah, why not sticking in a png or an svg directly into the document?

> 	Known problems:
>
> 	* for QR codes (but prolly not bar-codes) the idea of
> 	  representing a bitmap as a ton of polypolygons is prolly
> 	  not the greatest idea.

But also not prohibitively expensive - or how large are those QR codes
getting these days? Your example seems 40x40 pixel.

> 	* bar-code specifications:
> 		+ some of the spec's are a bit strict: "no less
> 		  than 2mm between X and Y"
> 		+ that gives some UI / rendering / unit constraints
> 		+ currently not captured.

Lock resizing on the XShape?

> 	Known bugs:
>
> 	* ODF / back-compatibility - we re-export the original (in my
> 	  case smiley) custom-shape which shows up as an unhelpful
> 	  fallback for older LibreOffice'n.

That one is a bummer. You'd want to add a preview image into some
wrapped draw frame then (like e.g. the svg import did it).

> 	I'd love to have some clue on how best to fiddle with this /
> re-work it somewhere that it fits.

See above - I might miss the broader picture, but I think easiest
would be direct embedding of the graphic. Would also solve your bitmap
question.

Cheers,

-- Thorsten