[libreoffice-projects] Re: Workflow between dev, UX and l10n teams

Stephan Bergmann sbergman at redhat.com
Thu Jan 29 01:20:59 PST 2015

On 01/28/2015 08:02 PM, Rimas Kudelis wrote:
> On day X time Y, we close down the affected Pootle project, push its
> localizations into git, then somebody who's in charge checks them out of
> git and runs the script. When the script finishes its work, the
> resulting files are committed back to git, imported back to Pootle and
> the project is re-opened for translation. Once that is done, an
> announcement should be sent to the L10n list with huge thanks for
> everyone's patience and kudos to everybody involved in the process. And
> we all live happily ever after. :)
[...]
> * The scripts might be buggy
>      - Obviously, each time they should be tested in advance with at
> least some real data and their result should be validated before committing.

Yeah, its vital that the script will be run in a way that can be tried
locally and in advance by any script-writing developer (i.e., that the
script will ultimately be run on the git data, not on some pootle data).

> On the bright side, I hope the massive changes we are talking about here
> will be less and less frequent, making this issue less and less
> relevant. From my understanding, we've already changed three dots with
> ellipses and straight quotes with curly ones, there shouldn't be much
> more typography to improve on, is there? :)

Typographic changes should rarely be scriptable across all locales
anyway, I guess.  (Even the ellipsis change might not have been, given
there's not only U+2026 HORIZONTAL ELLIPSIS but at least also U+0EAF LAO
ELLIPSIS and U+1801 MONGOLIAN ELLIPSIS.)