where do the canonical translations live, git or pootle

Lionel Elie Mamane lionel at mamane.lu
Fri Jan 30 04:01:39 PST 2015

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 11:32:20AM +0000, Anthonys Lists wrote:
> On 30/01/2015 08:30, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:

>> How about the git commit/push is made to*fail*  for the developer
>> then? Some git commit hook or something. The commit fails unless the
>> developer has set environment variable
>> "YES_THIS_IS_AN_IMPORT_FROM_POOTLE=yes" or
>> "AWARE_OF_TRANSLATION_WORKFLOW=yes".

> Isn't this behaviour that git is supposed to detect? If you push a
> change, then I push a change, git is supposed to detect that my copy
> is "stale" and force a rebase before I can push?

My guess is because the pootle-to-git push is not done as a git
merge, but as 'overwrite what is in the working directory from a fresh
git checkout'.

You have in mind:

 * pootle has a git checkout, and changes by translators are committed
   there.
 * Sometimes, that checkout is pushed.

What I think happens is:

 * Sometimes, someones makes "git pull", then exports the contents of
   pootle to that workdir and then "git commit -a && git push".

--
Lionel