Gerrit: Reliability and fidelity of verification results

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 04:29:07 PDT 2015

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 1:22 AM, David Ostrovsky <d.ostrovsky at gmx.de> wrote:

> I'd like to rise a question about reliability and fidelity of Jenkins
> Gerrit change verification results. Consider this change: 16877.

It is so much easier to blame the tools indeed.

> * On patch set 8: [1] TB 66 voted VRFY+1 [2].
> * On patch set 9: [3] TB 60 voted VRFY1-1 [4].
>
> There weren't any changes in the affected file textdoc.cxx between those
> two patch sets.
that is a bold thing to say when a patch change stuff like uno headers
or rtl headers

> Moreover, while I don't have access to Mac OS X, I
> verified that the patch set 9 works as expected on Linux, with most
> recent clang version available.

MacOSX rarely use the 'most recent clang version available'

tb66 is Yosemite
Apple LLVM version 6.1.0 (clang-602.0.49) (based on LLVM 3.6.0svn)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin14.3.0

tb60 is Maverick
Apple LLVM version 6.0 (clang-600.0.51) (based on LLVM 3.5svn)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0

And your patch 8 would have failed the same way on tb58/tb59/tb60

Norbert