[GSoC] Integrating LO with GNOME - WR#8

Pranav Kant pranav913 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 23:06:29 PDT 2015

Hi,

After a bit of research and discussion with Miklos, I decided to go
with ThreadPool instead of using async queue approach, since I could
not find any downsides of using this approach. Though, this approach
seems to be working fine for the little testing that I have done, we
might want to switch to async queue approach because of a possible
optimization.

I don't know how much optimize this would make the process. Currently
we keep pushing the tasks (paintTile requests) on to the queue, and no
matter what, once its pushed to the queue, it will get processed
anyways. But sometimes, I think, the user does a lot of operations in
very short interval of time, and we might not need some pending
operations in the queue to get processed at all. For example, when the
user quickly zooms in and zooms out.

There doesn't seem to be any way to manipulate the queue that thread
pool internally has, hence making it impossible to do this "task
compression". We can switch to using async queue approach as mentioned
by Tomaz, if this optimization is worth it, otherwise we can just
stick to the existing implemented approach for the time being.

--
Regards,
Pranav Kant