[libreoffice-design] Re: [GSoC] Improve user experience with CMIS – Weekly report #6

Szymon Kłos eszkadev at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 03:28:27 PDT 2015

Dnia 2015-07-23, czw o godzinie 12:15 +0200, Heiko Tietze pisze:
> On Monday 20 July 2015, 08:32:49 Jan Holesovsky wrote:
> > * when opening the "Open Remote", and there is no service added yet, the
> >   "Add service" dialog should open directly
> I wouldn't do so. It's pretty clear that no service has been configured.

I've already implemented this and rest of kendy's proposals (not marked
as 'to be discussed') :) I will push my changes to the master branch
then you will be able to try it.

> > * when opening the "Open Remote" dialog, either the list of files should
> >   be populated (using the currently selected service), or some feedback
> >   should be given that some user action is expected first
> +1 for showing the list of files
> (currently the list is updated when an item from the service dropdown is
> selected)

Most of services needs authorization, so first the login box appears and
then files will be shown (if password isn't remembered). Problem I have
is: if password is no needed, dialog will appear only after getting
files from remote server. During this time LO is not responsive.

> > * in the "Open Remote", some kind of feedback "something is happening"
> >   is necessary in when reading the list of files from the remote
> Yes, a throbber or even better progress bar makes sense here.

When something is happening, mouse pointer is changed to 'Wait' status.
I can add also throbber (but where?). Progress bar probably is harder to
implement.

> > * "Label:" in the "Add service" dialog should pre-file according to the
> >   user name; like when the user name is 'johndoe', and the service is
> >   GDrive, the Label: should pre-file with "Johndoe's GDrive" or
> >   something (with the possibility to change this by the user if he/she
> >   wants)
> Would be a nice-to-have. But...

Now the default label is just a service type and when user typing own
login, the label is changed with pattern "{user}'s {service name}" (if
label wasn't changed before by user).

> > * opening file from the recent documents in the start center asks for
> >   the user name (would be good to remember that or have that as part of
> >   the URL it remembers), and then does not open the file - only the busy
> >   mouse pointer keeps rolling
> I started from Writer>Recent  documents: Remote and after the first dialog
> with user name and password I wasn't asked again (edit: but after restart). As
> well at the start center.

Fixed.

> BTW: Save works but 'Save as' gives me a 'The folder contents could not be
> displayed. Operation not supported' error message. Guess it comes from an
> undefined local place (I'm on Linux/KDE). Question here is whether we should
> remotely with a different name.

The same on Linux/GNOME.

> + dialog width restriction is too conservative
> I'd like to resize it somewhat smaller to have it in a 4:3 dimension. But
> that's not possible due to minimum width of ~800px.

This was caused by long filter names. Now dialog width is independent
and minimum/default width is shorter.

> + 'add/delete service' should be disabled when no service is selected
> Both menu entries are enabled even when no service has been defined.

Done.

> + preselection of file type depending on app
> Filter is set to 'all files' but could adopted to the running app such as
> presentations in case of Impress.

This behaviour is inherited from standard file picker. I will try to do
this.

> + menu
> Users might not look for remote files at the recent files menu.

This wasn't intentionally, and now this entry is removed.

> However I have
> no idea how to solve this problem. 'Open...' and the default open dialog
> should stay as it is. And another menu entry on the top level doesn't reflect
> the low relevance of CMIS for the average user.

I forgot to add menu entries and I did this during last days. I've added
both open and save.

> + speed
> At least WebDAV is slow to an unusable extend.

Now all operations are executed two times (file list and tree), I must
think how to reuse the same data.

> + info/app title
> Might be good to know that a document is opened remotely. I suggest to add
> this info to the title, like 'Foo.odt (Remote) - LibreofficeDev Writer'.

I will try do this.

> > I am sorry if this feedback comes too early, and all this is actually on
> > your todo :-)  Either way - great stuff, love the work done so far!
> +1 Impressive progress!
Thanks

I also have a proposal to add "New Folder" button in the save mode. Now
it is possible to save files in the existing directories only. When user
want to save in a folder other than root, must create it using other
tools.

Regards,
Szymon