[GSoC] Integrating LO with GNOME - WR#8

Tomaž Vajngerl quikee at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 05:21:46 PDT 2015

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 6:17 PM, Miklos Vajna <vmiklos at collabora.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi Pranav,
>
> Given that a thread pool with one thread is basically such an async
> queue, I see no problems with this. Let's get back to this when we want
> to implement such a "cancel tile requests" feature in gtktiledviewer,
> which is not a priority at the moment.

Actually manipulating the queue is not a good idea IMHO. I think the
best is to recheck if the viewport is still valid for the tile before
rendering, so you bail out as quickly as possible if zoom changes or
viewport is already somewhere else. Even better is to and avoid a
request for tile rendering in the first place. When scrolling you can
predict which tiles you need, which also means you can predict which
tiles you most likely won't need. At a certain scrolling acceleration
you can just stop requesting tiles. When zooming you have to re-render
all the tiles - here it may be good to not request new tiles until
zoom settles (start requesting new tiles with a delay).

> Regards,
>
> Miklos

Regards, Tomaž