Build LibreOffice without unit tests

Ashod Nakashian ashnakash at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 05:52:05 PDT 2015

On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 6:18 AM, Bjoern Michaelsen <
bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 11:52:54AM +0200, Noel Grandin wrote:
> >
> > On 2015-07-23 01:32 PM, Jack wrote:
> > >Can somebody help me building LibreOffice(Ubuntu) without running any
> tests?
> >
> > $ make build-nocheck
>
> Yes, but ... why?[1]

Obviously not a good thing to do by default, but there are some reasonable
cases for it. (These are my reasons, not necessarily the OP's.)

If you don't expect the tests to pass (yet) then there is no point in
running them after every build cycle.
Also, if someone else broke the tests (a recent experience) but you need to
work on some unrelated patch (or build a branch to play with a feature or
patch).

Another reason is when debugging or bisecting. For the former, I often add
specialized code to help me debug or find/discover something.
I want fast build/debug cycles in this case, without waiting for
unit-tests. Ditto for bisecting.

The unittests take a considerable time to run, and selectively excluding
them when running them won't help can help productivity.

Otherwise, the defaults are great.