pushing patches despite requests for a test

Jan Holesovsky kendy at collabora.com
Fri Jul 24 12:14:17 PDT 2015

Hi Bjoern, Moggi,

Bjoern Michaelsen píše v Pá 24. 07. 2015 v 19:51 +0200:

> > On Friday, 2015-07-24 18:22:34 +0200, Markus Mohrhard wrote:
> > > I'd appreciate a decision by the ESC to either stop this behavior or to
> > > tell me to shut up! In the second case I will take it as another sign that
> > > the project does not care about quality anymore.

Sorry that you feel offended by this; but please let's not overreact :-)

> > Of course we do care about quality, and everyone should. Education
> > sometimes needs time and annoying repetition..
>
> Yes. Lets reiterate this on the ESC. Personally, I am quite in support of a
> "think how to get more tests and more coverage" stance. This is indeed a
> mindset question first.

In this particular case, Tomaž gave explanation why he decided to push
the patch even without the unit test, and also promised that he'll come
up with a way how to test it reliably:

"First I want this patch in.. later I'll try to find a way to reliably
test this."

I recall that Tomaž bootstrapped test infrastructure in several modules
& areas & new ways, so I trust him that he will keep the promise ;-) -
so I don't really see a problem with this approach here...

We can go through that at the ESC of course; but until then - we should
at least get a friendly message to Laurent who's the author of the
original patch, and a poor victim here :-)  I'll try to ressurect the
gerrit issue entry in the meantime so that Laurent knows.

All the best,
Kendy