Tutorial for debugging LO with Visual Studio

Ashod Nakashian ashnakash at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 15:07:10 PDT 2015

> does there exists a written step-by-step tutorial, how to debug LO using
Visual Studio, which is suitable for beginners?

1) Build with --enable-dbgutil --enable-debug on Windows.
2) Run the application in question from instdir/program.
3) Run VS and from Debug menu, click Attach to Process...
4) Find soffice.bin from the list (the title will help you find the correct
application, in case you have many running).
5) Set a breakpoint, break, continue, and enjoy debugging.

Notice that this will not load the LO project or anything fancy like that.
This is just purely for debugging. But it works perfectly well if you build
LO correctly.

If you open the correct source in VS (after attaching to soffice.bin) and
place a breakpoint, VS will know that it's part of the LO binary you are
debugging.

You can also save this solution so you can reopen the same files with
breakpoints at a later time to redo a similar debugging session.