Tutorial for debugging LO with Visual Studio

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 31 07:15:07 PDT 2015

Hi Regina, *,

On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 3:48 PM, Regina Henschel
<rb.henschel at t-online.de> wrote:
> Hi Ashod,
>
> Ashod Nakashian schrieb:
>>
>>  > does there exists a written step-by-step tutorial, how to debug LO
>> using Visual Studio, which is suitable for beginners?
>>
>> 1) Build with --enable-dbgutil --enable-debug on Windows.
>
> it seems, that I need to make a new build first, before I can test the rest.
> That will last a while.

You can use the official builds and add the symbol server. That should
work for most cases.
However it might be that the relevant part of the code is optimized
away by the compiler so not clear why something goes wrong in this
case.
--enable-debug for whole build is overkill, rather using
--enable-symbols and "make module debug=1" for the module your
interested in should be enough.

> The Wiki page
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/BuildingOnWindows mentions
> "Build a project file for Visual Studio". How is that connected to your
> steps?

After you build LO, you can create the visual studio project files to
open the LO-project in Visual studio - so if you want to use the VS
editor to develop, that's a way to do it, but it is not directly
related to debugging or building. You cannot do a whole build with the
VS UI alone.

So get one of the RCs/final versions and try with those. They are
source-indexed, so VS will also be able to checkout the corresponding
source-files.

add http://dev-downloads.libreoffice.org/symstore/symbols as symbol-server URL

ciao
Christian