Consolidating debugging levels (via Easy Hacks)

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Mon Jun 1 05:33:14 PDT 2015

Hi,

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 06:23:08PM +0200, Markus Mohrhard wrote:
> IMHO dbgutil and the log levels should be orthogonal. dbgutil is a mode
> where we include binary incompatible code and can enable additional asserts
> that should not be included in a release build. dbgutil is something that
> is generally useful for developers. However log output should be limited to
> what is really essential by default. E.g. enabling SAL_WARN with dbgutil is
> not too bad as long as SAL_WARN is used responsibly.

yes, I think SAL_WARN/SAL_INFO mostly solves the "drowned in log output"
problem as it is enabled/configured the SAL_LOG environment variable at
runtime:

 http://docs.libreoffice.org/sal/html/sal_log.html

So the effort here is mostly to cut back on the vast amount of compile time
triggers -- aka reducing the amount of build scenarios.

Best,

Bjoern