[GSoC 15] Tiled rendering - Weekly report #1

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at collabora.com
Mon Jun 1 07:08:51 PDT 2015

Hi Pranav,

On Mon, 2015-06-01 at 14:50 +0530, Pranav Kant wrote:
> involves a lot of other things like layers[3], composting[4], and
> off-main-thread compositing (OMTC)[5], which we might not need at all.

	I imagine that we will need and want off-main-thread-compositing to
ensure that the UX remains fluid even while rendering new tiles - since
we can do those in a different thread.

> I am already in touch with gfx team at Mozilla and would be
> researching about it in parallel while I do the following task for the
> next week. At this point, it seems that it might be better to use the
> Mozilla code as a reference only to implement opengl/tiled rendering
> in LO, and not reuse it directly.

	Seems reasonable to me; Markus and Tor's feedback on IRC was also
rather useful IMHO, particularly stacking layers of abstraction seems
unfortunate:

<moggi> oh, and the modern replacement for cairo is skia, might be a
better alternative than Moz2D

	=)

		Michael.

--