test infrastructure ideas appreciated ...

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at collabora.com
Wed Jun 3 06:33:23 PDT 2015

Hi guys,

	The ESC are interested in improving unit (and other automated) testing
and are interested in concrete ideas for implementing new automated
tests to prevent regressions. We hope to turn this into a proposal for
the Board, which if approved -could- turn into a tender to fund more
work in this area. Having said that writing unit tests is every
developers' responsibility where feasible - so this ask focuses on new
infrastructure.

	It is noticeable that where there are existing tests & infrastructure,
new tests are easier to create and often there are more of them - so are
there places where we should work to create infrastructure ?

	Is there something we can improve by throwing hardware at it ? as we
have done for the crash-testing; if so what hardware is needed ?

	Is there a large area of code that is completely un-tested or
under-tested that you'd love us to invest in making test-able ?

	Is there a test that currently only runs in an obscure setup /
corner-case that we can invest in standardizing and making more easy to
use ?

	Constructive thoughts appreciated in reply here.

	ATB,

		Michael.

--
 michael.meeks at collabora.com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot