review of OpenGL blacklist work

Markus Mohrhard markus.mohrhard at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 4 19:19:39 PDT 2015

Hey,

so as part of my work to integrate glyphy for OpenGL text rendering I
finally managed to implement the last missing piece from my earlier
blacklist work. Currently we have a blacklist based on the old Mozilla
blacklist which has two downsides:

1.) The entries are mostly irrelevant to us (except for the two entries
related to my systems).

2.) The blacklist is in the source code which means that if you discover
combinations that cause issues (crashes, rendering issues, ...) you have no
chance to help users until the next release. Mozilla, despite a much faster
release cycle, has therefore already switched to mostly a xml based
blacklist that is updated from a central server and only a small part (e.g.
for past security issues) stays in the code).

I have implemented something similar now in the feature/opengl-preparation
branch for windows as preparation for the glyphy work (which is expected to
uncover many driver bugs). I'd appreciated if someone would have a look at
it and comment on the general idea (do we want to use that concept, is
there something that I missed, ...).

I'd also like to add one more feature to my xml files to be able to specify
selected features that should be disabled. So it would be possibly to
disable OpenGL text rendering while keeping the other OpenGL features
available.

Please note that the automatic update is not yet implemented as I have no
URL on a TDF server yet.

Is there a need for a similar service on Linux. Mesa is at least as bad as
the Windows OpenGL drivers but I fear that all linux distros would disable
that feature anyway so making it useless.

Regards,
Markus