review of OpenGL blacklist work

Thorsten Behrens thb at documentfoundation.org
Sat Jun 6 09:12:46 PDT 2015

Markus Mohrhard wrote:
> Can you explain what you had in mind with the config layer idea.

Largely just avoiding duplicated code (no need to xml-parse, do
layering etc).

> I don't see the values as I doubt many admins will be able to change
> it and I had hoped that it would be enough to provide a config entry
> that points the local location of the blacklist.

Well, it's just the principle of least surprise - all standard config
deployment/overriding/lockdown mechanisms would then simply work. Also
- as always, there'll be at least *one* person wanting to do special
magic ... ;)

> So if a admin really wants to disable access to it he puts the
> blacklist in a place where the user can't touch it and lock the
> setting.

Fair enough. Doesn't make group policies / machine-specific settings
extra-easy, but I guess it'll work.

Cheers,

-- Thorsten