Mac OS X and pkg-config

David Tardon dtardon at redhat.com
Wed Jun 10 04:17:07 PDT 2015

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 09, 2015 at 04:30:45PM +0200, Michael Stahl wrote:
> On 09.06.2015 16:20, Thorsten Behrens wrote:
> > Tor Lillqvist wrote:
> >> But neither is it very useful to have the already small set of OS X -based
> >> developers split into those who use a pure upstream way to build, those who
> >> use HomeBrew libjpeg but bundled Python, those who use MacPorts Python and
> >> libjpeg, etc.
> >>
> > Maybe. But is that really so different on Linux (where we seem to
> > cope)? And I guess Khaled's intention is to rather grow the pool of
> > Mac hackers, by removing one very early point of frustration ...
>
> we cope with this on Linux mainly because we have distribution package
> maintainers who actually work on having our build system pick up
> $random_distro_of_the_week's inconsistently packaged system libraries
> properly.

... and even so we fail to ensure that system headers/libs are not used
if one configures without them. E.g., as soon as one installs system
boost (or mdds, or glm, or...), it will be used no matter what value
SYSTEM_BOOST contains. Simply because -I/usr/include is in include path
before -I$W/UnpackedTarball/boost. But we do not seem to care overly
about this...

D.