Changing mindset of core LO developers to the status of master -- was test infrastructure ideas appreciated ...

Tor Lillqvist tml at iki.fi
Thu Jun 11 23:58:34 PDT 2015

> Because not all developers can test all configs, we then have the branch
> "bleeding" which is explicitly "works for me, does it break someone else?".
>
> That way, master always works, which is what novice (and I guess most
> experienced, too) devs want AND EXPECT, but we have a branch dedicated
> to ensuring (as far as possible) that we don't get nasty surprises.

How can master always work, if, as you said yourself, not all developers
can test all configs, what makes you think there WOULD magically exist
tinderbox slaves for all configs then? Or do we plan to have one Linux
TINDERBOX that uses system everything, one that uses system everything
except a bundled boost, one that uses system everything except a bundled
graphite, one that uses system everything except a bundled libjpeg and
libpng, etc? You GET my point? Every configuration option doubles the
number of possible configurations. And I didn't even mention the CHOICE of
Linux distros. But whatever, I just work here.

--tml