Changing mindset of core LO developers to the status of master -- was test infrastructure ideas appreciated ...

Jacobo Aragunde PĆ©rez jaragunde at igalia.com
Fri Jun 12 01:41:28 PDT 2015

El 11/06/15 a las 08:44, David Ostrovsky escribiĆ³:
> On Wed, Wed Jun 10 12:22:53 PDT 2015, Norbert Thiebaud wrot
>
>> All that being said, none of that matter if the culture does not
>> follow. no amount of CI can make people care.. what set the tone is
>> the core developer group, the rest of us looks around how it is done
>> and emulate the behavior.
>
> Nothing causes more pain, frustration and disappointment than
> unfulfilled expectations.
>
> I expect that master is always green. My definition of green is:
>
>   $ make check
>
> with --enable-werror is passing on all three platforms: Linux|Mac|Win
> 64.

In my opinion, this should be so. It does not make sense to me to have a
"bleeding" branch, you can always work on a feature branch and rebase it
on top of master every now and then to have a similar, unstable environment.

The solution to have a green master could be adding some more automation
to our Gerrit; we already can push commits there and get them checked in
the three main platforms by Jenkins. Like Miklos suggested in this email
[1], we could push the patches to Gerrit with CR+2 and get them merged
automatically by Jenkins when it sets the V+1. It would require some
work on Gerrit or the Jenkins bot - or both.

[1]
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentfoundation.libreoffice.devel/65110

Best,
--