[GSoC] Integrating LO with GNOME - WR#3

Miklos Vajna vmiklos at collabora.co.uk
Mon Jun 15 04:03:23 PDT 2015

Hi Pranav,

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 02:43:02AM +0530, Pranav Kant <pranav913 at gmail.com> wrote:
> * Restructure the whole widget, and make it more introspectable[1].
> This has an added advantage that we can now use this widget with any
> language-bindings. Our main goal is to integrate with gnome-documents
> which is written in JS, so we had to make it introspectable anyways.
> By making it introspectable, I mean using the standard best practices
> of writing a GObject class.

Hmm, one of the last two commits on your branch now break the feature
where you can click into the document in gtktiledviewer and get a
blinking cursor. Can you reproduce that?

> * We also ported the widget to GTK3 now; besides that, removed all
> deprecated functions in GTK3, and made use of latest functions. The
> gtktiledviewer (c++ application using the widget) is looking better
> than ever now with new gtk3 icons and features.

Thanks a lot for this, this is great! :-) Now that gtk3 is enabled by
default on master, I could push these 4 commits without drawbacks to
master.

> * I seem to have uncovered a bug in LO core on postMouseEvent[4].

If you can still reproduce it, it would be nice to see the
SwXTextDocument::postMouseEvent() frame, there a switch-case has an
assert(false) in the "default:" case, but ideally that should never
happen. So it would be nice to know what is nType when you hit the
assert.

Maybe you accidentally run your latest gtktiledviewer against an older
master that doesn't handle LOK_MOUSEEVENT_MOUSEMOVE yet?

> Next steps:
> * We need to expose a good API for our consumers. This would mean
> adding planning and deciding minimal API, signals, and properties
> abstracting most of the details so that the unstable LOK part,
> whenever changes, doesn't affect the application using the widget, and
> the widget takes care of everything internally. So, I would be working
> on this, this week.

One idea regarding that: I think lok_doc_view_post_key() is just a hack
as I failed to find out how to give the widget the keyboard input. If
you can find a way, so that (just like the mouse input) the keyboard
input gets to the widget out of the box, then we could drop that
function. ;-)

Thanks,

Miklos