Popup dialogs (was How many degrees of headlessness do we need?)

Anthonys Lists antlists at youngman.org.uk
Mon Mar 30 14:21:56 PDT 2015

On 30/03/2015 16:50, Jens Tröger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thank you Tor for starting this discussion; very interesting and
> necessary.  I've been confused about these different modes for a while,
> in particular because I run on both Mac and Linux where the same switch
> works differently.
Just throwing something completely off the wall into the mix ... and
trained touch-typists the world over (not that there are that many left)
would probably throw their arms around you and hug and kiss you for this ...

Is there any way we could have a mode that would disable pop-up dialogs,
auto-corrupt, etc etc. Touch typists are TRAINED NOT to look at the
screen - a pop-up dialog plays havoc with that workflow. They want to be
able to dump text from a paper document into a word-processor document.
Bear in mind that a trained typist can do this accurately such that it
OCR needs to be better than 95% accurate to do a faster job.

That's what pisses me off about Word - it's aimed at the "hunt-n-peck"
brigade - sure that's the majority of the market out there, but so many
of its features are on-by-default, hard to disable, and a pain in the
neck for the professional user. It would be nice to have a mode that
says "what you type is what you get"!!!

Cheers,
Wol