Renaming in sw/

Miklos Vajna vmiklos at collabora.co.uk
Thu May 7 03:28:10 PDT 2015

Hi Kendy,

On Thu, May 07, 2015 at 11:23:12AM +0200, Jan Holesovsky <kendy at collabora.com> wrote:
> Tor Lillqvist píše v Čt 07. 05. 2015 v 12:04 +0300:
>
> > While at it, could we also come up with a new term for the "fly"
> > concept (and its plural, "flys") please? I hate flies. How about
> > "floater", if floating is what a fly does?
>
> Sounds good to me too - any objections from Bjoern / Caolán / Michael
> S. / Miklos / anybody?

I have no problem with Frm -> Frame, and so on, as long as the new term
is not used yet. (E.g. we have SelWrd and SelectWord, too, so just
renaming SelWrd to SelectWord would make the life of sw developers a bit
harder.)

I know what a fly is, those are the frames around which text gets
wrapped in Writer. SwFlyFrm even contains a doxygen comment saying the
same. I'm not convinced that "floater" would be any clearer than "fly",
though. Especially as we already have a number of floater in different
contexts, like MediaFloater or the fontwork Floaters. Possibly let's
separate such more intrusive renaming from the trivial ones you
mentioned yourself.

Regards,

Miklos