Build dependency on external cppunit

Tor Lillqvist tml at iki.fi
Fri May 8 10:07:19 PDT 2015

> There are LOTS of other ways
> in which cross compile is broken.

Well, we have tinderbox slaves that cross-compile for Android and iOS
constantly, so it can't be totally broken.

So you need to be more specific. Also whether something is considered
"broken" or not depends somewhat on whether it is even promised anywhere to
work, don't you think? As you should have noticed, LibreOffice is far from
some "typical" small Open Source library using GNU auto everything that
would be cross-compilable by simple passing --host and --build options to
the configure script. LibreOffice's configury and build system is quite
complex. (But then, so is the build system of most *large* Open Source
software packages.) We don't promise anywhere that arbitrary
cross-compilation would work. You don't even tell what the host platform
for which you are cross-compiling is.

Sure, we don't have anything testing cross-compilation from one Unix to
another Unix, for instance (like from x86_64 Linux to MIPS Linux, etc), so
if that is broken, that is not surprising. I think at some stage a few of
us managed to cross-compile from x86 (or x86_64) Linux to Raspberry Pi ARM
Linux, but that was last year and many things might have bit-rotted since.

--tml