Killing obsolete Jenkins builds

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 17:27:26 PST 2015

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 2:28 PM, Ashod Nakashian <ashnakash at gmail.com> wrote:
> (Sorry if this has already been discussed/considered.)
>
> Once a patch is pushed to Gerrit a Jenkins build automatically starts. And
> once subsequent patches are pushed the cycle repeats.
>
> Is there a reason to keep running the builds of (old) patches that will not
> get cherry picked?

Is there a reason to keep pushing these patches then ?
Just stop building patch over patch and pushing them in bulk.. and
make your patch independent of each other as much as possible.

iow: make a patch, push it to gerrit, come back to 'master' make
another patch, push it to gerrit etc.
and _not_
make a patch, push it to gerrit
git pull -r
make another patch (on top of the non merged patch you just pushed to
gerrit), push it to gerrit => both patch get rebuilt
etc..

> To me it looks completely wasteful to spend hours building a few patches
> that were pushed one after the other when only the last one is relevant.

Then do not push new version of 'irrelevant' patches

> Not
> only it is wasteful to valuable shared resources, but the user is punished

again, do not do that then.

Norbert