Implement expected failures for CppUnit

Jan-Marek Glogowski glogow at fbihome.de
Wed Oct 7 05:11:08 PDT 2015

Am 07.10.2015 um 12:47 schrieb Stephan Bergmann:
> On 10/07/2015 11:37 AM, Jan-Marek Glogowski wrote:
>> I've implemented CPPUNIT_TEST_XFAIL to add test cases to a suite, which
>> are expected to fail.
>
> Do you have some explanation what this is good for?  (My assumption is
> that one would just write the test code in a way that it is supposed to
> succeed.)

The idea discussed in ESC was to allow developers to write tests for
bugs, even if they are not able to fix them. We also assumed / hoped
it's easier to write a test then fixing a bug. We'll see, if this turns
out to be true.

Most times this feature is used for test driven development, where you
mark tests as expected to fail without breaking the build and when you
actually fix the bug you simply remove the XFAIL from the test case. The
idea is to prove you wrote a test for your bugfix.