lessons learned from hackfests

Wols Lists antlists at youngman.org.uk
Sun Oct 25 04:26:18 PDT 2015

On 25/10/15 10:50, Riccardo Magliocchetti wrote:
> Hello,
>
> during the next libreitalia conference we are going to host a 4 hours
> development session. The plan is to help more people getting started
> hacking on libo.
>
> Given such a short time frame how is this time better spent from your
> own experience? What do you think is more important to tackle? helping
> people getting setting up their machines, explaining libo tools /
> development, going straight to easy hacks or something else?

How long is a piece of string? Can you have multiple streams?

Personally, I'd focus on the point after doing a "git pull", and how to
set up your machine ready to push to gerrit, then how to use the
bugzilla and easy hacks through to actually pushing your first trivial
fixes.

The thing is, different people are going to hit different roadblocks.
You'll get people who need hand-holding through git, people who struggle
with C++, etc etc. It'd be nice to cater for them, but there are other
avenues open to them. Focus on the LO-specific stuff.

After that, try and explain the background as to how writer, calc, etc
work internally - give people an overview so they can program easier.

Cheers,
Wol