lessons learned from hackfests

Olivier Hallot olivier.hallot at libreoffice.org
Sun Oct 25 05:34:09 PDT 2015

Hi

Em 25/10/2015 08:50, Riccardo Magliocchetti escreveu:
> Hello,
>
> during the next libreitalia conference we are going to host a 4 hours
> development session. The plan is to help more people getting started
> hacking on libo.
>
> Given such a short time frame how is this time better spent from your
> own experience? What do you think is more important to tackle? helping
> people getting setting up their machines, explaining libo tools /
> development, going straight to easy hacks or something else?
>
> thanks in advance

Our experience in Brazil told us that there is a lot of time spent in
the first pull, dependecies download & setup and make (with make fetch).
With 4 hours and several people doing the same thing will likely clogg
the network and waste time.

You can possibly download the source tarball to spare time in a pen
drive (just do a pull to update), but the other dependencies will be
affected by each ones computer. The first "make all" will also take a
lot of time.

Ideally people should come with a sucessfull first compilation: then the
fun begins. To do that, a preparation beforehand with the attendees is
necessary.

Whish you all a fun hacking anyway.

--
Olivier Hallot