Error when trying --enable-lto on Windows

Tor Lillqvist tml at iki.fi
Wed Sep 16 00:51:11 PDT 2015

> I could try see what happens if I also turn it on. (After all, if LTO
> worked, it would be used specifically in "production" builds, where
> mergedlibs is also used, so in case the error for some reason goes away
> when mergedlibs is used, fixing it would be only of academic interest.)

Perhaps not surprisingly, the (32-bit) link.exe (which in the LTO case
before linking also runs the compiler's code-generating phases) runs out of
memory, error C1002, when building mergedlo.dll.

Oh well, will try again once 64-bit builds (which as far as I know use a
toolchain that itself is 64-bit) are the norm.

--tml