linux dbgutil tinderbox stuck -> backtrace

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 14:44:55 UTC 2016

On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 8:23 AM, Stephan Bergmann <sbergman at redhat.com> wrote:

> I don't claim Jenkins is a good infrastructure for this.  (But I don't want
> to start any discussion about that.  Just wanted to point out that adding
> timeouts to test code is the wrong solution to the underlying problem of
> having reliable build bots.)
not 'to the test code'.. to wrap around the execution of tests.
I fail to see what is wrong with that.

>> 2/ the linux debug build, once a week also rebuild the doc.. which
>> takes a long time.. so I had to bump that global level deadlock to the
>> max time a full build + build the doc and upload it can take... which
>> make the deadlock kick in the 5-6 hours range... not great.
>

> A single, fixed timeout, independent of the kind of build you're doing,
> indeed doesn't look very useful.

notwithstanding the generate doc case... if you have a trick to figure
out in advance how long an incremental build will take.. please let me
know :-)
the conservative tiemout is there to limit the damage.. but it is
indeed suboptimal. thankfully we do not have _that_ many hangs