Debugging specifics wrt visual studio

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Fri Aug 19 13:51:13 UTC 2016

On Tue, 2016-06-07 at 10:28 +0530, Akash Jain wrote:
> I was having problems debugging with visual studio 2015, where even
> with all the relevant modules loaded and their status being "Symbols
> loaded", I was not able to set any breakpoints from the source file.
> This was happening even in WinDbg. I wondered if the pdb files even
> had the sources specified. So I found code for a tool which is
> essentially a pdb parser. On building and running it on any of the
> pdb
> files, I found that there were no sources for all the object files,
> related to lo, in that module.
> I then downloaded vs2013 and built with it. And on inspection of the
> pdb files, I found that the sources were now being specified. I was
> also able to debug properly.
>
> Has anyone had similar experience with debugging in vs2015 without
> vs2013 being installed on their system? Better still can anyone shed
> some light on why this might be happening?

As mentioned on IRC today. I also had the same problem with vs2015. I
hacked my solenv/gbuild/platform/com_MSC_defs.mk to add -Z7 to
gb_CXXFLAGS and gb_CFLAGS to embed the debuginfo into the obj files and
debugging in msvc 2015 then works (without any --enable-debug --enable-
symbols etc configure flags).

So I can confirm that theres apparently something wrong with the pdbs
built under 2015 seeing as I can debug LibreOffice with -Z7 but not -Zi

C.