minutes of ESC call ...

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at collabora.com
Fri Dec 9 20:57:03 UTC 2016

Hi Bjoern,

On 08/12/16 18:40, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:
>> 	* download 'something'
>     (actually, Visual Studio can directly clone git repos, so
>      manual downloads shouldnt be needed)

	Sure - question is if we want to check all the un-buildable binaries
into a git repository; but we can do of course if it saves having a
shell to download things.

>> 	* click the green triangle to debug ;-)
>
>     Certainly works for kdevelop and used to work for MSVS.

	Great - so we're nearly there.

>> 	Where of course that 'something' would need to be constructed by some
>> tinderbox / slave, and (ideally) contain everything not easily buildable
>> with the IDE already pre-built =)
>
> Ok, who is going to finally kill scp2, the horribly icon-theme scriping, UNO
> registry generation plumbing etc. for good? (With kill=port to plain C++ tooling).

	For me at least, none of that is relevant. We can pre-generate all of
that and include it pre-built inside the 'something' that is downloaded.

>> 	Personally I'd see this as an entry mode: once people have the
>> satisfaction of seeing their work 'working' they can graduate to
>> installing cygwin, and <insert other pain points>. Clearly there would
>> be nothing authoritative about it etc.
>
> That would assume to use a pregenerated autoconf output then (as autoconf need
> essentially all of POSIX and then some). Possibly -- but not without its own
> pain points (ask any Sun engineer, this is was how StarOffice builds were like).

	Sure there are pain-points; and it is a rather artificial setup that is
proposed - a newbie / starting developer setup. Having said that - you
can get a -very- long way with just editing C++ files in a tree with
pre-build python, ICU, etc. etc.

>> 	AFAICS - there -should- also be no need for cygwin, LODE, or anything
>> else in this world ;-) just a single download.
>
> Well, we sneakily use various bits of sed/gawk/gperf/perl/python/zip/tar/... in
> various corners of the build.

	Sure - and this then becomes an incremental task ;-) -iff- doing this
generates interest from lots of new developers, which it might, then I
suspect we get a set of manpower with motivation to make more and more
of the code easily accessible on Windows ;-)

	ATB,

		Michael.

--
michael.meeks at collabora.com <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot