make gbuildtojson and make xx-ide-integration problems.

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Thu Dec 15 11:53:26 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 12:05:38PM +0100, Michael Stahl wrote:
> but we build python3 anyway, why don't we just use that to run the
> bin/gbuild-to-ide script, then it'll run even on macOS?

right, doing python2 (only) scripts these days is foolish as it is phasing out.
FWIW, this has nothing to do with what configure finds, but with:

 #! /usr/bin/env python3

in the first line of gbuild-to-ide looking for whatever python3 interpreter is
on the system. I would oppose porting gbuild-to-ide back to python2 -- for the
reasons noted above. I would not oppose to make gbuild-to-ide work with python2
too, if someone is enthusiastic about it.

As for using the python3 that LibreOffice bundles anyway: That is nice ... in
theory. In practice, the bootstrapping makes this a bit tricky: gbuild-to-ide
is supposed to work before a full build is there. So we either have to:

- let go of that requirement on OSX where getting python3 is a hassle
  (its no issue on Linux, neither on Windows as long as we need cygwin anyway)
- use something different than Python3 for bootstrapping the env
  (then again: What? Python is probably the bestsuited tool crossplatform tool
  available for this task -- even with the Python2/3 mess).
- sprinkle some fairy dust on OSX to make them ship an Python that was releases
  8 years ago ...

Best,

Bjoern