[Libreoffice-qa] minutes of ESC call ...

Tor Lillqvist tml at iki.fi
Fri Dec 16 12:22:01 UTC 2016

I have an even blunter suggestion: In a branch (branched off 5.2, for
instance), we unpublish and rename all existing API. (For instance,
s/com::sun::star/libreoffice/.) We make this very public, and make a test
build available that contains it. And then we wait for reports what
external software actually breaks against this test build. As such reports
come in, we rename back those APIs, and mark them published. Once a week we
distribute a new build from that branch. If after half a year no new
complaints arrive, we know what APIs actively used and/or developed
external software actually uses, and do the corresponding change also in
master.

Of course I don't really believe this suggestion has any chance of being
accepted. But it is Friday, and one can dream.

--tml