[Libreoffice-qa] minutes of ESC call ...

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Fri Dec 16 23:00:33 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 11:40:21PM +0100, Thorsten Behrens wrote:
> To relay some stories from real life - there's _so_ much integration
> with especially OpenOffice out there, coming from legacy systems, tons
> of macro-ized applications, sometimes bespoke development with the
> company simply selling, not developing anymore - that by the time
> those deployments 'see' our unpublished API (and subsequent changes
> thereof), it's gonna be much, much, much too late to do anything about
> it.

As said in my reply to Michael already, this has little to do with the actual
decision making except for us to get a better information base.

Your statement and Michaels statement display the antipodes of these arguments
and I assume we will continue to have these discussion on the ESC on a
case-by-case base -- possibly just somewhat better informed now and then.

> Orthogonally to the above, that's a really worthwhile idea. I was once
> already kicking the idea of an API forum / mailing list / whatever
> around; perhaps -- if properly seeded & tended -- the dev askbot
> instance could be that?

see draft at: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/index.php?title=Development%2FBudget2017&diff=140532&oldid=140527
(also mentions askbot already)

Best,