Please add an option to set bug reports to "Private"

Kaganski Mike mikekaganski at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 22 10:38:20 UTC 2016

On 12/22/2016 1:12 PM, Michael Meeks wrote:

        I agree there are problems trying to work out who should be able to see
them; but we have some good lists already - eg. those with commit access
are people we trust - I don't think this is an insuperable problem.

        I think there is also a good sized grey area between 'published on the
web', and 'made available to a small group of dedicated and trusted
individuals'.

        From the first days I worked on gnumeric, many of our best test
documents were sent to the developers, and maintained in a semi-private
collection that we used like our crash-testing suite for regression
testing. IMHO it's a reasonable & normal request to have a TDF
controlled mechanism for building such a thing - but lets put this on
the ESC agenda to discuss it there.

I want to mention here, to provide a PoV for ESC, the following:
there is no technical problem in a "Private" flag; but that flag is public legally-binding promise.
So, TDF should consider:
* what are legal consequences of breaking that promise;
* what fiscal consequences can follow from that, and how should TDF provide for that in budget;
* what are technical means of guaranteeing that promise (how can we ensure that people won't break it, and that data is stored securely);
* what are legal means of that guarantee (how can we enforce those people to do that by law, and who will be the lawyer on TDF side);
* how can we ensure required budget for required infrastructure (with guaranteed constant funding);
* and can't be there a possibility that if we will have a dedicated source of funding for that, that will endanger the non-profit status of TDF?

I definitely believe that a L3 support is best for that.

--
Best regards,
Mike Kaganski