make gbuildtojson

Markus Mohrhard markus.mohrhard at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 27 22:04:33 UTC 2016

Hey Jan,

On Mon, Dec 26, 2016 at 12:02 PM, jan iversen <jani at documentfoundation.org>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> 2 questions about gbuildtojson.
>
> Currently the filenames are stripped for their type in the json file.
> <Foo>-ide-integration, need the filetype for each file. Can I please have a
> hint in which gb_ function the stripping happens?

So I think that it is not really stripped at all. In contrast we leave the
file extension from the name in the makefile and handle it by using the
same extension for all files of the same type. In the case that the suffix
does not match the type that we specify, e.g. external libraries with cpp
files and our own makefiles we set the suffix explicitly.

As an example any object mentioned with add_exception_objects is a c++ file
with the cxx file extension and exceptions being enabled. In contrast
add_cobjects is e.g. a c file with a .c extension and add_objcxxobjects is
a objective-c file with a .mm file extension.

> Considering that gbuild-to-ide.py should not be converted to C++, would it
> not be better to convert gbuildtojson.cxx to python. That way we use the
> same language for the 2 parts, and in python we can easier make the json
> object more splitted ready to use for the ide generators ?

So I'm not sure if that is worth it but would not object the change. At
least for me the gbuildtojson script should be stable and low maintenance.
We will never be able to keep all IDE generators up to date so changes to
the gbuildtojson output should be considered as something that should be
mostly done in a backward compatible way. Obviously if there are good
arguments for having it in python we should rewrite it in python, just the
fact that another script in the gbuild-to-ide pipeline is a python script
is maybe not enough.

> I will do the changes.
>
> As a sidenote, xcodeproj files now loads correctly, with the exception of
> json with multiple targets. My intention is keep vs2013 in parallel.
>
> My timeline is to have a working solution (not complete) at the hackfest
> after FOSDEM, giving us a chance to set the final goals.
>
> rgds
> han i

Regards,
Markus