DPI and screen resolution on OS X

Chris Sherlock chris.sherlock79 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 12:27:22 UTC 2016

> On 3 Feb 2016, at 11:08 PM, Alexander Thurgood <alex.thurgood at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Le 03/02/2016 00:52, Chris Sherlock a écrit :
>
> Hi Chris,
>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I’ve mentioned this briefly to Tor on IRC, but thought I’d email the mailing list and a general enquiry.
>>
>> I noticed that we don’t actually get the “true” DPI for OS X, nor the actual resolution - at least on high resolution screens (Retina in particular).
>>

> From what I recall this has provided a few calculation issues in the
> past with some of the xml layout unit tests in sw on OSX - making rect
> calculation rounding errors spring to mind causing the unit test to
> fail. As I only reported these at the time, and not involved in fixing
> them, I can't say I understand the details.
>
> I also wonder whether the horrible black or white bands and other
> display detritus we see on OSX in fullscreen would be affected by
> changes in this area (for the better hopefully)
>
> Alex

If nobody has any objections, I can add an environment variable that forces it to pick up the actual screen resolution.

Something like OSX_FORCEBACKINGCOORDS

If you then want to troubleshoot this sort of thing and wonder if this might be helpful, then set the environment variable and reload LO, see if the same issue occurs.

Chris