DPI and screen resolution on OS X

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 19:37:31 UTC 2016

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 10:10 AM, Armin Le Grand <armin_le_grand at me.com> wrote:

> Example:
> You have painted an ellipse (vector data). User chooses 'convert to Bitmap'
> and saves the file. On Mac you will have a >200 DPI bitmap,

Just as a reminder. the 'DPI' on mac depend dynamically on the
'Screen' on which you are drawing at that point in time.
you could have multiple screen, with different 'DPI', and they can
even change by system setting (although not supported by the
'standard' system setting gui interface, it _is_ possible to configure
the OS so that a retina screen is used with 1 point = 1 pixel (rather
than the 1 point = 4 pixel you usually have on retina) (*)

Ideally DPI 'awareness' you really not leak outside of vcl.. and even
in vcl be limited to place where we are in 'PhysicalCoordinate'

Norbert

(*) one of the issue is that our bitmap abstraction does not make the
distinction between point and pixel, which makes the page preview
thumbnails in impress for example, not able to get as crisp as they
could be on retina display.