Remove ActiveX from LibreOffice

Michael Stahl mstahl at redhat.com
Mon Jan 4 12:00:04 PST 2016

On 30.12.2015 21:02, Bryan Quigley wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Recently it was decided to remove the rest of NPAPI support [1] which
> got me thinking about the other Windows specific plugin tech -
> ActiveX.
>
> It seems ActiveX is very much no longer recommended by Microsoft and
> it seems to not work by default for IE10/11 on Windows 7 and up.  Any
> objections to removing?

i don't think that a LO browser plugin is a terribly good idea, so no
objection to removing that.

> AFAICT this would just be removing embedding LO into IE.

however, isn't it the case that ActiveX components may not be used just
from IE, but from any Win32 application?

that sounds like a potentially more useful embedding use-case, similar
to "officebean" and "LibreOfficeKit", but for developers that are
familiar with Win32 APIs.

(or would that be something else that also happens to be called
"ActiveX" but is not actually implemented by LO's so_activex library?)