Suggestion

Wols Lists antlists at youngman.org.uk
Wed Jan 13 08:49:32 PST 2016

On 12/01/16 21:11, Rick C. Hodgin wrote:
> The values won't round.

You misunderstand me. They shouldn't round.

And based on what the user has selected, they
> will display to the nearest power of 3 (10^(k*3)), or in an explicit
> form.  The default option will be to auto-range the values into their
> metric named range.

That's the point. THIS BEHAVIOUR IS WRONG. You should NOT range to the
*nearest* power of three, you should range to the *most* *appropriate*
power of three.

Let's say I have two numbers, 1.234^x and 0.1234^x. One is less than 1,
one is greater than 1. Forget the exponent x, the point is you should
NEVER mix mantissae like that. It's not that one is wrong and the other
is right, it's that consistency is important, some people insist on one,
others insist on the other.

If the user explicitly says they want nano-units, then give them
nano-units, fine. But if you're auto-ranging it, you should NEVER mix
mantissae - you can force it to 0.001234^(x+3) and 0.1234^x, or you can
force it to 1.234^x and 123.4^(x-3).

You can see - the mantissae are BOTH greater than 1, or BOTH less than
1. Some situations demand the first, some situations demand the second.
I think at school in Physics I always used the second - the mantissa had
to be greater than 1. I've been in situations where people insisted it
had to be less than 1.

(You see the same argument when using "Exponential Notation" - is the
integer part of your mantissa ALWAYS zero eg 0.1234^x, or NEVER zero eg
1.234^x).

Cheers,
Wol